A Dream or No


Hardy window at St. Juliot's Church

Why go to Saint-Juliot? What's Juliot to me?
I was but made fancy
By some necromancy
That much of my life claims the spot as its key.

Yes. I have had dreams of that place in the West,
And a maiden abiding
Thereat as in hiding;
Fair-eyed and white-shouldered, broad-browed and brown-tressed.

And of how, coastward bound on a night long ago,
There lonely I found her,
The sea-birds around her,
And other than nigh things uncaring to know.

So sweet her life there (in my thought has it seemed)
That quickly she drew me
To take her unto me,
And lodge her long years with me. Such have I dreamed.

But nought of that maid from Saint-Juliot I see;
Can she ever have been here,
And shed her life's sheen here,
The woman I thought a long housemate with me?

Does there even a place like Saint-Juliot exist?
Or a Vallency Valley
With stream and leafed alley,
Or Beeny, or Bos with its flounce flinging mist?

February 1913. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Arborfield said...

For a maid in Beeny, reprise...

Arborfield said...

The picture is of the Hardy window in St Juliot Church, North Cornwall, dedicated in July 2003. The window consists of scenes from the romance of Hardy and Emma Gifford, his first wife - these scenes taking place in the area around St Juliot, including Beeny Cliff and the Valency river valley. These scenes are frequently referred to in Hardy's poetry, particularly in those poems he wrote in response to Emma's death.

Because of the light coming in through the engraved glass, it is impossible for photographs to do justice to how beautiful this window is. My advice is, go to St Juliot and see. Go to Boscastle, take the coast road north, and follow the signs for St Juliot "Old Rectory" (Emma's old house). The church is half a mile past the rectory.